Sunday, November 7, 2010

An Introduction to Manufacturing

So. I'm blogging. It's something that I've been meaning to do for quite some time, but now I feel like I have enough of a voice to actually say something intelligent about the wide, wonderful and wacky world of fashion. Recently I started studying to become a fashion designer. One of my favorite classes (which is saying a lot, seeing as we only just started taking it last week) mentioned the impact that bloggers have had on the fashion industry in recent years. And you know what, I totally agree. Thus, this blog serves as my (as of yet unheard) voice in the industry. Also, the class is called An Introduction to Manufacturing, hence the name!

So.... How does one become a student studying fashion design? One must make a pretty fantastic portfolio, that's how. For my portfolio, I submitted LOADS of artwork and fashion illustrations, but I also put it upon myself to execute and create a whole 5 look collection. While it isn't technically proficient by any standards, the ideas are there and that is what's important! 

The collection was inspired by the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Each dress is inspired by one of the Horsemen. 

"Wait, but there are 5 looks," one might query. And you are right. There are 5 looks, but 4 horsemen. That's because there is one Horseman that can be switched in for another. Theoretically, the Four Five Horsemen are War, Death, Pestilence, Famine and Conquest, with Famine and Pestilence being interchangeable. Problem solved.

The first look is War.


With War I took a rather abstract inspiration. That is, explosions. The center portion (the red satin minidress) being the flames, while smoke embroils the dress (the grey tulle).


OMG. Corey, the model, was something ferocious. It was both of our first photo-shoots ever. She got in front of that camera and worked like you wouldn't believe. I'm looking forward to working with her again.


This dress was my first proper foray into learning how to sew. I'm the kind of person who will take a leap when it comes to things I am passionate about and hope that I fly instead of fall. But it turned out pretty good. An "A" for effort. Sewing? Uh...... Let's leave that.

Dress: Evan (AKA Moi)
Belt: Ardenes
Bangles: Ardenes
Shoes: Wal-Mart (I KNOW! Way too amazing for Wal-Mart standards...)

No comments:

Post a Comment